No sound: Deb Sarge on G4 iMac

Martin Habets wrote:

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 11:50:33AM -0500, Harvey Ussery wrote:
harvey@doob:~$ cat /dev/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.4 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux doob 2.6.8-powerpc #1 Sun Oct 3 13:22:21 CEST 2004 ppc
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
PowerMac Tumbler (Dev 29) Sub-frame 0

Audio devices:
0: PowerMac Tumbler

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: PowerMac Tumbler
harvey@doob:~$

The first think I'd try next is to run alsamixer and make sure the volume
is turned up.

Check.

Next, try to play a sample sound using aplay. If you get
any errors, post them. If you hear no sound with aplay, try the '-v' and
'-vv' switches. The last one should show continuous output for a while.
Progress! Aplay at least generates sound--the first peep I've heard from the system since I installed. Here's a sample output:

harvey@doob:~$ aplay -vv /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/pop.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_BE)
Transformation table:
0 <- 0
1 <- 0
Its setup is:
stream       : PLAYBACK
access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
format       : S16_LE
subformat    : STD
channels     : 1
rate         : 44100
exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
msbits       : 16
buffer_size  : 8192
period_size  : 2048
period_time  : 46439
tick_time    : 1000
tstamp_mode  : NONE
period_step  : 1
sleep_min    : 0
avail_min    : 2048
xfer_align   : 2048
start_threshold  : 8192
stop_threshold   : 8192
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Hardware PCM card 0 'PowerMac Tumbler' device 0 subdevice 0

Its setup is:
stream       : PLAYBACK
access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format       : S16_BE
subformat    : STD
channels     : 2
rate         : 44100
exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)
msbits       : 16
buffer_size  : 8192
period_size  : 2048
period_time  : 46439
tick_time    : 1000
tstamp_mode  : NONE
period_step  : 1
sleep_min    : 0
avail_min    : 2048
xfer_align   : 2048
start_threshold  : 8192
stop_threshold   : 8192
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary     : 1073741824
Max peak (2048 samples): 00255 (0x00ff) #                    0%
harvey@doob:~$

The only other thing I can think of is that the OSS driver might be
built into your kernel. I don't know if this is a Debian practice or not.
What kernel are you on? (uname -r)
harvey@doob:~$ uname -r
2.6.8-powerpc

Thanks for your help--at least now I know the system is capable of sound. Any idea why the cd player, though clearly playing a music cd, is not generating any audio? (And I still can't ring the system bell?) --Harvey