Re: Netbooting a 7025-F50

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:46:01AM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to network-install Sarge on a RS/6000 7025-F50. Using the configuration menu of the machine, I configured the network interface. The machine is able to contact my tftpd-Server and to request the initird. While the file is transfered, it displays the amount of Packets transfered. Thing is: It stops at
>
> BOOTP S=1
> Packet Counts = 2300
>
> It doesn't try again, but after a couple of minutes it continues by choosing the 2nd boot method configured.

Not cool.

> I'm completely lost of why this happens, so I'm not sure if this is a limit of the 7025-F50 (I somewhere read about some RS/6000 not being able to netboot bigger than a certain size, but I can't find the link anymore), if this is a bug of the machine (Firmware, probably), or if I just used the wrong installer files. I have to admit I got confused because of several description about this machine on the net. The Debian install manual states that the 7025-F50 is PREP, while penguinppc says that it's CHRP. So I tried both prep and chrp.initrd, and the initrd from people.debian.org/~luther, both the ones in the d-i/-directory, as well as daily builds from a few weeks ago.

Probably a firmware or network bug. The netboot image is around 5.3MB, which
may be indeed to big if the firmware is blocked at 4MB.

You could try the netboot-minimal-2.4 images from :

  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-powerpc/rc2/images/powerpc/netboot-minimal/2.4/

Which altough it being a 2.4 kernel, are of 3.3MB size, and should be able to
boot under this limit. Not sure if your machine will be happy with a 2.4
kernel though. Maybe i should enable the 2.6 netboot-minimal stuff too.

> So I wonder how to get rid of this error, and what kind of machine the 7025-F50 really is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hope the above helps a bit, don't know what kind of machine it is too.

Friendly,

Sven Luther