Re: 2.6.6-powerpc Debian kernel and 802.11b problems

On 25/05/04, Jens Schmalzing (j.s@lmu.de) wrote:
> Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> writes:
> You are using hotplug to automatically detect your hardware, right?
> Seems that it found your Firewire ports and generously assigned an
> IP-over-Firewire interface.  It doesn't do harm, but if you don't want
> to load it automatically, put eth1394 in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.  The
> exact reverse happens with the airport driver - you want to load it,
> but it is not found automatically.  Simply put airport in /etc/modules
> and it should work fine on the next boot, and use the command
> `modprobe airport' to load the module right away.  Just make sure you
> use the correct interface name, or use the mapping stanza of
> /etc/network/interfaces to figure it out automatically.

Thanks for the info, Jens.

On 25/05/04, Derrik Pates (dpates@dsdk12.net) wrote:
> Did you build that kernel yourself? If so, I'm guessing you didn't build
> support for the Airport card into your kernel.

This is the new unstable 2.6.6 Debian kernel. "modprobe airport" worked,
thanks!

    Module                  Size  Used by
    -------------------------------------
    airport                 7968  0
    orinoco                56340  1 airport
    hermes                 15136  2 airport,orinoco

After inserting the modules, I'm still getting an error, though. "eth1
no wireless extensions". Any clues?

Ahah. eth0 has become the wireless interface, and eth1 is ethernet. Now
everything works.

Thanks!
Rory
--