Re: 2.6.6-powerpc Debian kernel and 802.11b problems

Hi,

Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net> writes:

> I'm trying to get my airport card working on my ibook 800Mhz G3.  It
> used to work fine, in multiple locations with my 2.4.25 kernel on my
> ibook 500Mhz!  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong -- I've installed
> wireless tools.  I expected to see "hermes" and "orinoco" listed in
> lsmod, but if I try to insmod these they can not be found.

> iface eth1 inet static
[...]

> eth1394                24840  0
> sungem                 37444  0

You are using hotplug to automatically detect your hardware, right?
Seems that it found your Firewire ports and generously assigned an
IP-over-Firewire interface.  It doesn't do harm, but if you don't want
to load it automatically, put eth1394 in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.  The
exact reverse happens with the airport driver - you want to load it,
but it is not found automatically.  Simply put airport in /etc/modules
and it should work fine on the next boot, and use the command
`modprobe airport' to load the module right away.  Just make sure you
use the correct interface name, or use the mapping stanza of
/etc/network/interfaces to figure it out automatically.

Regards, Jens.

--
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!