Re: Keyboard locked to uppercase

On 12/30/2004 04:08 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 22:39 -0500, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

>>Hi Michael,
>
> Almost. ;)

Oops!  That will teach me to be more careful.  The sad part is, I think
I've done this to your name before. :-(

>>(I'm using an iBook G3, running sid, with kernel 2.6.8.)  Occasionally
>>I can't get the problematic arrow key to switch off, in which case I
>>find that switching to a virtual console and then back to X fixes things.
>
> Maybe it's actually an arrow key in combination with a modifier or the fn
> key in those cases? Anyway, the fact that VT switching clears it might
> point towards a software problem, unless the keyboard hardware gets
> reinitialized at that point.

No, just the plain arrow keys -- as Cedric Pradalier mentioned, this
often happens in games; also sometimes when I'm scrolling with arrow
keys in a text editor.

>>An apparently related issue I see is that sometimes, when holding an
>>arrow key down, somewhere in the chain from hardware to software some
>>keypress events don't get converted properly, so I end up with some
>>numeric gibberish like "444444444" inserted somewhere random.
>
> I've seen that, too.

I'm glad it's not just happening to me then!
Thanks,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544