Re: Keyboard locked to uppercase

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 22:39 -0500, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:
> Michael Dänzer wrote:
>
> > Sometimes, a key gets 'stuck', I don't know if this is a hardware or
> > software issue. The trick is to find the key and press it again.
> > Sounds like in your case it may have been fn-Shift (i.e. right
> > Shift), which would be particularly tricky.
>
> Hi Michael,

Almost. ;)

> I sometimes have this problem under X, but only with the arrow keys.

I think it's just most likely to happen with them, maybe because one
tends to use them differently than other keys.

> (I'm using an iBook G3, running sid, with kernel 2.6.8.)  Occasionally
> I can't get the problematic arrow key to switch off, in which case I
> find that switching to a virtual console and then back to X fixes things.

Maybe it's actually an arrow key in combination with a modifier or the fn
key in those cases? Anyway, the fact that VT switching clears it might
point towards a software problem, unless the keyboard hardware gets
reinitialized at that point.

> An apparently related issue I see is that sometimes, when holding an
> arrow key down, somewhere in the chain from hardware to software some
> keypress events don't get converted properly, so I end up with some
> numeric gibberish like "444444444" inserted somewhere random.

I've seen that, too.

> It's completely unreproducible, unfortunately.  I'm not certain, but
> this may have started happening when I switched from a 2.4 to a 2.6
> kernel.

I'm pretty sure it used to happen for me with 2.4 as well. If anything,
it used to be worse, but I don't remember whether it became better when
going from 2.4 to 2.6 or at what point. The only other idea I seem to
remember is that it could have been introduced when the 2.4 kernel
switched to the new input layer for PowerMacs, in which case it could be
a bug in there.