Re: installing sarge

On Dec 23, 2004, at 1:51 PM, vinai wrote:

Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

2) It automatically configures the network using DHCP, which i would
rather NOT do, and

When I used the old installer, you had the choice to specify dhcp or a
static IP.  I'm surprised this option was removed ...

The old installer still has it - it is just the new one that forces DHCP.

3) the partitioning step should warn you to use ext2 for the root if
you want to use quik,

4) alas, quik doesn't boot it after installation.
    it goes into a loop in which:
	a) it prints some stuff about addresses, which is gone before I
         can read it (it looks the same as the stuff I get when I
         BootX)
	b) It then displays the "pregnant penguin", and right under it
         a rather colourful prompt block
	c) this display lasts a looong time, during which it does not
         respond to kbd or mouse
	d) then it reboots, chime included.

When I tried to use quik a while (~5 yrs or so) ago, it was not stable
on my configuration (8500), but I would guess that with subsequent work, that has improved. What I would suggest is that whatever method you are
using to boot either into a linux installation, or into an installed
linux system (at least on PPC), boot with the "No Video Driver" option
(in BootX) or fbdev video driver (in quik).

I have not had console support for my ATI video card, or my on-board
video since the 2.2 kernel series. If I try to boot with a video driver
with a 2.4 kernel, the system panics on bootup.  No video driver allows
the boot process to continue, but with minimal console video speed.  If
you try a 2.6 kernel, the results are a little worse (at least from my
limited trying).  With "No video", the system will boot, but you get no
console video at all, and if you try to use a kernel video driver for
the console, the system again panics and you'll have to reboot.

vinai

Tried the "no video" option. Made no difference except in the positioning of the penguin and prompt block, which are centered at the top of the screen instead of being in the top-left corner. The computer still loops as described above.

NB- in both cases I am specifying "video=atyfb:vmode:6" as a boot parameter, as suggested by someone on this list recently, plus the "Force video settings" block checked.
If I don't, the screen is smeared & I can't use it at all.

Thanks,

Dan Killoran