Re: installing sarge

On Dec 22, 2004, at 5:06 PM, Clive Menzies wrote:

On (22/12/04 12:56), vinai wrote:
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Daniel R. Killoran,Ph.D. wrote:

I want to install sarge in my Old-World Mac 9500.
I know I need to use BootX, and that I should copy linux.bin and
ramdisk.image.gz into the "Linux Kernels" folder, but I can't find
those files on the ISO images of the sarge distribution.
Should I use the corresponding files from woody?
At what point do I use the sarge disks?
On the d-i rc2 sarge netinstall iso the are two files:
initrd.gz and vmlinux
(look in /install/powerpc)

Copy those to your Linux Kernels folder on the Mac side and away you go. Just remember to copy the installed initrd.gz and vmlinux files to the mac
side after the base install before rebooting so that you can subsitute
these for those from the installer.
Hmm. How? I can't copy them from the Mac side, because it won't mount an ext2 filesystem, and the install doesn't give me a shell prompt before it gets to booting (and it doesn't boot - see below).

Take a look here for kernel image files:

    http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/ch-appendix.en.html

What I'd suggest, go with Woody - do a basic install, then update your
apt sources list so that "stable" becomes "testing".  After this, you
should be able to "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" ...
IMHO you're much better off with the new installer - I've used both on
old Macs and the sarge installer is just way easier and quicker.

YMMV

Well, yes it does vary:

1) I quite agree - the new installer is a great improvement, however:

2) It automatically configures the network using DHCP, which i would rather NOT do, and

3) the partitioning step should warn you to use ext2 for the root if you want to use quik,

4) alas, quik doesn't boot it after installation.
   it goes into a loop in which:
a) it prints some stuff about addresses, which is gone before I can read it (it looks the same as the stuff I get when I BootX) b) It then displays the "pregnant penguin", and right under it a rather colourful prompt block c) this display lasts a looong time, during which it does not respond to kbd or mouse
	d) then it reboots, chime included.

Thanks,

Dan Killoran