Re: Problems booting kernel on IBM RS/6000 7043-140

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Please fill a bug report against kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc, and let's get
> > > this fixed.
> > Ok. Done.
> >
> > > What is the self-built kernel that you did use ?
> > 2.4.15 from http://krichard.web.elte.hu/43p-140/
> > (patches and .config available on that site)
>
> Mmm, this is just plain 2.4 tree from the ppc tree. So our 2.4 kernels should
> work just as well. Did you try to use our 2.4 kernels ? I guess the problem is
> that they are to huge (>5MB), and thus don't fit on floppies.
That's not really the problem. Netboot works fine (except I don't see
anything after the 'Now booting the kernel' message for the 2.4 kernel).

> Can you :
>
> 1) get the debian 2.4 kernel sources (you need both kernel-source-2.4.27 and
> kernel-patch-2.4.27-powerpc, untar the kernel-source tarball, and apply the
> powerpc patches from /usr/src/kernel-patch/...).
>
> 2) copy the .config from the above site.
>
> 3) do a make oldconfig and reply to all the questions about new config options
> as best you can, compile the kernel, and try putting it on a floppy. You need
> to do a make zImage and then use arch/ppc/boot/images/zImage.prep.
>
> Report back on this process if possible.
Unfortunately, I don't have any powerpc installation to do the compile. I
guess I could cross compile, but I don't really have the time to find out
about how to do that at the moment...

If you can tell me which kernel to download from where and which kernel
option to use to load which root image, I could try that...

	Johannes