Re: Problems booting kernel on IBM RS/6000 7043-140

Hi,

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004, Sven Luther wrote:
> Can you try the
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/installer-powerpc/current/images/powerpc/netboot/minimal/2.4/vmlinuz-prep.initrd
>
> It should not work (the above is oldworld pmac specific), but we will know if
> the problem is with the initrd size.
It didn't work... but I found out what the problem was. I needed to
upgrade the firmware.

Now I can boot the Debian installer image, if I enter
	root=/dev/ram console=ttyS0,9600

Unfortunately, the pcnet32 driver doesn't work. It detects the network
card, but it dhclient doesn't get an answer and if I setup an IP manually,
I can't ping the workstation either.

With that old 2.4.15 boot disk & debian installer root, the pcnet32 driver
does work (at least for pings).

I tried the 2.4 vmlinuz-prep.initrd, but it does not seem to support the
serial console. At least I can't see anything after the 'now booting the
kernel' message.

	Johannes