Re: Debian or Ubantu

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 17:35 +1100, Dean Hamstead wrote:
> >>Debian on the other hand may be more complicated than I want. I wasn't [too]
> >>encouraged when X took serious tweaking to get it to boot up.
> >>

> >The main advantage for going "straight" Debian is when you need
> >something that's not supported by the Ubuntu distro, and/or you are
> >running a platform not supported by it. Ubuntu is limited to i386,
> >"new-world" PPC and AMD64, whereas it seems like there's a Debian for
> >just about everything.
> >

> commercial distributions feed the masses, debian is by the
> people for the people. so if your running linux on <insert
> more obscure or outdated hardware here> then other like
> minded users (and possibly yourself) are maintaining things
> for the hardware because they/you use it. that or a nice
> package maintainer is cross compiling, which is just fine
> and dandy as well ;)
>
> you may also find crux usefull, especially if your machine
> will be filling a server roll. but, as ive mentioned many
> times before - im very bsd = servers , linux = workstations
> kind of man.
>
> Dean
I have just recently installed Ubuntu on my Powerbook G4 and was very
pleased with the fact that everything except the known issues worked
after install:
suspend and DRI are a nono (AlBook G4 - ATI 9600)
after 1 line in fstab USB sticks work smooth
sound's a-ok
xserver runs nicely
fonts are all available
And on top of that - the config files are just like plain, good, old
debian ;).
So I like it as a starting point.

(ps: there is no development stuff on the computer after install - but
its available on the repositories)

Timo