Re: Memory and hard disk testers

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:48:51 -0500, Mehul N. Sanghvi
<mnsanghvi@comcast.net> wrote:
> I wanted to test the RAM and make
> sure the memory is good.

There is a Debian package called sysutils that includes a memtest
utility but I have not tried it.

> The 13 GB IBM is just sitting around useless
> because I seem to get data corruption, although from reading at
> http://lowendmac.com/  it seems that the corruption might be due
> to the fact that I have a Rev 1. B&W which has a bad IDE controller
> chip.

I, too, would like to know a way to evaluate my IDE controller --

I have a PowerMac 9600 with an IDE controller added and I can install
Debian just fine IF I use ext2 filesystems, but if I try to use ext3
it has a tendency to corrupt everything. I'm thinking it's probably
not ext3 per se, but probably the kernel is trying to use a higher DMA
mode or maybe the controller just cannot handle the throughput.

I resolved a similar problem on an old Compaq Pentium 200MMX system by
installing 80-wire IDE cables. On the PowerMac, this improved the
situation but did not completely resolve it.