Re: incompatible unaligned.h between x86 and ppc - kernel-hackers verify please

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 18:30, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > What crap? You're the one who implied that these were
> > somehow kernel headers. They're not. They come with
> > the glibc-headers package.
> >
> > It really doesn't matter how this is fixed. It could be
> > fixed in the glibc-headers package. Alternately, the
> > kernel source could be made more friendly toward the
> > generation of glibc-headers. Obviously, one method is
> > much easier to implement, but either will do.
>
> That still doesn't make these an API for user programs.
> I'll file a bug agains glibc-kernelheaders to remove these
> inlines as they're not supposed to be useable from user programs
> if that's the only way to shut people like you up.

That would be fairly reasonable, except that the
interface has been provided for years. It has become
a generally accepted part of the Linux API. As you
can see, app developers expect it. The expectation
is quite reasonable too.

Either way, i386 and ppc should match.

If you file a bug to remove the interface, also file
a bug requesting that an equivalent replacement be
provided. People aren't using the interface just to
be cute. There is a need that POSIX doesn't satisfy.