Re: No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:11:49PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> I think I've just discovered a major difference between the "hfs"
> implementation in 2.4 and that in 2.6.
>
> When one mounts an hfs filesystem under 2.4, there are a bunch of
> pseudo-directories with names beginning with a "." that give you
> access to the finder info and the resource forks of all the files.
>
> This feature is not there in 2.6.  (Or else I need to RTFM -- can
> somebody point me to the right FM?)

No, it's just not there. The hfs support was mostly rewritten based
on the hfsplus code, which never had that feature. I'm not sure if
there is any effort underway to rewrite that stuff as well.

> Thus, running a 2.6.8 kernel, mounting the boot.img file as an hfs
> filesystem make it appear that the finder is zero length!  In
> reality, only it's "text" fork (If that's the right word) is zero
> length -- all the good stuff is in the "resource" fork, which
> doesn't show up.

It's generally called the data fork, rather than text.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com