quik on Open Firmware 2.01f trouble

I installed sarge (I think) from the Sven's daily boot floppies at

http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/daily/powerpc/floppy/

Several issues are list-worthy. In this installation, which uses the
2.6.8-powerpc kernel, quik was sucessfully installed. That's a recent
improvement over other installs I've tested (iso CD - last weekly,
netinst CD - this weekly), where quik went by quik, and no success
message afterward.

This time, after the success message, d-i reported "Setting up Firmware"
or something, then a warning that the system might not boot, etc.,
etc...

I have my Beige G3 set to stop at the OF prompt. After rebooting out of
stage one of the installation, I simply typed "boot" and got a message,
I think it was something like, "CAN'T OPEN pci/mac-io/mesh/sd@0:x". x=?
Anyway, I remember from my reading at FreeBSD and penguinppc.org about
needing to bless the drive with Apple's System Disk unility. So I setenv
boot-device back to default (/AAPL,ROM), got back into MacOS9 and
blessed my scsi drive by reconfiguring the PowerUser with manual
settings for boot-device pci/mac-io/mesh/sd@0:x and changed the boot
file to /boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc.

Restart...

On the OF prompt I typed boot, and got the following:

RESETing SCSI bus
DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00700 at %SRR0: 003f4000 %SRR1: 00083070

Hey! that's farther than I'd gotten in the last 48 hours! Anybody know
what's happening here? Should I pass load-base values to the setenv?

I'm still doing the reading, and I'll pay the dues, but I was hoping
someone would snatch this up and give me a boost.

System		: OldWorld PowerMac Beige G3 233 revision 2.2
processor       : 0
cpu             : 740/750
temperature     : 32-35 C (uncalibrated)
clock           : 233MHz
revision        : 2.2 (pvr 0008 0202)
bogomips        : 465.92
machine         : Power Macintosh
motherboard     : AAPL,Gossamer MacRISC
detected as     : 48 (PowerMac G3 (Gossamer))
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 512K unified pipelined-syncro-burst
memory          : 64MB
pmac-generation : OldWorld

Open Firmware v 2.01f

Regards,