Re: No HFS driver, and "change install priority" menu option missing -- and other bugs found while testing 2.4 boot floppies on OldWorld PowerMac

On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, at 01:30 PM, Holger Levsen wrote:

Hi,

However... There is one important thing missing from the boot
disks.  Specifically, the "System" file is zero length.  This is
true of both boot and ofonlyboot for both 2.4 and 2.6.  It won't
boot that way.
Arg, again. I have to checkup and see what is missing in the build process,
but i will not be able to do so until friday.

I just successfully booted the kernel from
http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-
i/images/2004-09-29/powerpc/floppy-2.4/boot.img
and was asked for the root floppy. (on a power mac 4400/200)

Hmmm...  You learn something new every day!

I think I've just discovered a major difference between the "hfs" implementation in 2.4 and that in 2.6.

When one mounts an hfs filesystem under 2.4, there are a bunch of pseudo-directories with names beginning with a "." that give you access to the finder info and the resource forks of all the files.

This feature is not there in 2.6. (Or else I need to RTFM -- can somebody point me to the right FM?)

Thus, running a 2.6.8 kernel, mounting the boot.img file as an hfs filesystem make it appear that the finder is zero length! In reality, only it's "text" fork (If that's the right word) is zero length -- all the good stuff is in the "resource" fork, which doesn't show up.

So, I owe Sven an apology! As Holger found out, the boot floppy is perfectly functional.

Now, is the loss under 2.6 of the HFS ".finderinfo" and ".resource" pseudo-directories a bug, or a feature?

Enjoy!

Rick