Re: Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz CPU temperature

> > I can confirm frequent lockups on GPU load (CPU load doesn't matter,
> > that's handled fine by the thermostat). In case it matters: the OF device
> > tree seems to indicate that the two fans aren't CPU and GPU but rather
> > left and right side of the rear exhaust grille. So they need to be set to
> > the same speed, I guess. At least on the Albooks.
> >
> > Does your friend also experience flicker in the console, Ben? Nothing I
> > tried with radeonfb helped ...
>
> Nope, have you hard-wired the PLL value like I do for other laptops ?

Nope, the OF data are used to set up the PLL. Even feeding it utter
bullshit for SCLK and MCLK does nothing at all to change the picture.

> X.org has some working code to enable dynamic power management on those
> new chipsets, I'll port it to radeonfb asap. That may help the temperature
> issues, though it would be interesting to look in more details at what
> darwin does with the GPU temperature.

According to OF, the sensors are CPU bottomside and CPU/Intrepid
bottomside. No mention of GPU - is that close to Intrepid? Are the OF
comments bogus?

FYI: lowering the GPU limit to 50 makes the right exhaust fan come on as
expected. No ideas how that affects stability yet.

	Michael