Re: Powerbook G4 1.33 GHz CPU temperature

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 18:10, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > I can confirm frequent lockups on GPU load (CPU load doesn't matter,
> > > that's handled fine by the thermostat). In case it matters: the OF device
> > > tree seems to indicate that the two fans aren't CPU and GPU but rather
> > > left and right side of the rear exhaust grille. So they need to be set to
> > > the same speed, I guess. At least on the Albooks.
> > >
> > > Does your friend also experience flicker in the console, Ben? Nothing I
> > > tried with radeonfb helped ...
> >
> > Nope, have you hard-wired the PLL value like I do for other laptops ?
>
> Nope, the OF data are used to set up the PLL. Even feeding it utter
> bullshit for SCLK and MCLK does nothing at all to change the picture.

Wait ... you are talking about console flickering or X flickering ? If
X, do you have "UseFBDev" ? If you do, does you radeonfb has the tweak
to use a hard coded pixel clock PLL value like for other laptops ?
(And this will be fixed sooner or later in X :)

> > X.org has some working code to enable dynamic power management on those
> > new chipsets, I'll port it to radeonfb asap. That may help the temperature
> > issues, though it would be interesting to look in more details at what
> > darwin does with the GPU temperature.
>
> According to OF, the sensors are CPU bottomside and CPU/Intrepid
> bottomside. No mention of GPU - is that close to Intrepid? Are the OF
> comments bogus?

Difficult to say, each machine has the min a different location, the
driver was written with "gpu" in mind, oh well...

> FYI: lowering the GPU limit to 50 makes the right exhaust fan come on as
> expected. No ideas how that affects stability yet.

No clue yet neither. We checked with anton on his laptop, the temperatures
read don't seem to be _that_ high and it still locks up ...

Did it always lockup or is that new ? I wonder if there could be a different
issue like a bug in 2.6.9-bk* or so, maybe HIGHMEM related (I don't have
highmem on my box, I hacked my yaboot to be able to load kernels that have
KERNEL_BASE & TASK_SIZE set to 2Gb so I can have up to 1.5Gb or RAM or so
without HIGHMEM :)

Ben.