Re: Testing newoldworld pmac miboot 2.6 floppies

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 09:55:17AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> Damnit. But Jens reported it as working on his oldworld box. Could you maybe
> fill a bug report against kernel-image-2.6.8-powerpc about this ?

I suspect that the one that worked was SCSI only. All the first generation
PCI powermacs (7x00,8x00,9x00) had one or two SCSI controllers, but no
onboard IDE. However, most of the G3 models had IDE and SCSI onboard, and
used mostly IDE devices.

> Ok. We need to know what is your ide controller, and in which udeb it is
> found, and if discover lists it or not.

If it is the onboard stuff, it can't be built as a separate module from
the way the source looks. It appears that ide/ppc/pmac.c is always
compiled into ide-core if it is enabled.

> Definitively a bug in discover, could you fill a bug report against discover1
> with your lspci and lspci -n output ?

You won't get much help out of lspci. These are not PCI devices. The macio
chip shows up as one huge PCI device, and the macio layer knows how to
read data from OF to find the sub-devices. I don't think either version
of discover has any knowledge of macio, which prevents detection of drivers
like mac53c94, mesh, mace, pmac_zilog, and lots of other older mac stuff.
The pmac IDE support can handle both PCI and macio devices, but I'm pretty
sure that only newworld macs came with onboard IDE that showed up as
separate PCI devices.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com