Re: Using new Debian-Installer on oldworld PowerMac 9500

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:09:35 -0700
Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 11:32:30PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:25:46PM +0200, Martin Geier wrote:
> > > If I understand this correctly, it would be possible to get the
> > > "installer-console" via OF to the serial port? What about
> > > redirecting the OF to the Mach64?
> >
> > No, i don't think this is possible, since there is no graphic driver
> > in the OF for those machines.
>
> I'm pretty sure there is an OF driver on the Mac style Mach64 cards. I
> know the built-in RagePro on the G3 powerbooks had a driver. The only
> ones I know of that definitely don't have a driver are the platinum
> chips (powermac 7200, maybe others?).

Yes there should be one : you need it when booting using a third party
(not built-in) PCI video card -- I used such a card as OF
output-device on a 6400. A simple way to find the OF path to it is to
look under/proc/device-tree, provided this is built into the kernel, and
search for a device whose name begins with'ATY,' (ATI cards) :
$ find /proc/device-tree -name 'ATY,*'

If you have luck, the resulting path should look something like
'/bandit/ATY,XCLAIM_LTPro', which you can use in the OF output-device.

HTH,
Simon

--

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header