Re: Kernel 2.6.8-powerpc problems (cdrom, battery notification, dhclient)

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 07:30:19PM -0500, Mannequin* wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:38:40 +0200
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 04:29:34PM -0500, Mannequin* wrote:
> > > Can anyone help me out here?
> > >
> > > I have a PowerBook G3 Firewire. I just installed a stock 2.6.8-powerpc
> > > kernel from the Debian archives, and when I rebooted I noticed some problems
> > > that maybe you can help me fix.
> > >
> > > First off, I can't mount my cdrom:
> > >
> > > :~$ mount /cdrom/
> > > mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device
> >
> > Try an lsmod output and see if every module is loaded. Most of the stuff is
> > now build modular, compared to 2.4.x. do you have hotplug and/or discover 1/2
> > installed ?
>
> I have hotplug installed. I actually don't remember which modules are needed for
> the cdrom to work properly. Any suggestions? I've got sr_mod, ide_cd, and cdrom
> loaded according to lsmod. This is the only thing I haven't been able to fix
> since I've received answers to my questions. :)

I have (on pegasos) : cdrom ide_cd ide_disk and via82cxxx. Do you also have
isofs  ?

Could you fill a bug report against hotplug/discover or both about this ?

> > > Second, on boot up dhclient tries eth0 and errors out.  But when I manually
> > > run dhclient as super-user, it uses eth1.  Why doesn't this happen at boot,
> > > and how can I get this fixed?
> >
> > This is due to the order in which hotplug/discover load the modules. The easy
> > answer is to add the corresponding driver in your /etc/modules, to make sure
> > it get loaded before the firewire-eth thingy. The better solution is to fix
> > hotplug/discover to do the right thing. This should be fixed by now, i
> > believe, not sure it made it to sarge though.
>
> It found on ETH1 a Sub GEM (PCI) 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet. When I lsmod, it
> shows a modules called sungem, sungem_phy, and crc32 as loaded... So I put
> 'sungem' above 'firewire-eth thingy' and it works on boot now.
>
> I am interested in fixing it the right 'hotplug' way, should I just wait for an
> update, or is there a fix you know of that I can do right now?

Please fill a bug report against hotplug.

> > Can you try the stock 2.6.7 and tell us if the battery problem also happens
> > there ?
>
> The stock 2.6.7 didn't work, but I added apm_emu to /etc/modules, as Matijs van
> Zuijlen and you directed me to and it comes up at boot now.

Could you try 2.6.8 and fill a bug report against hotplug/discover ? I don't
really know which one is in charge, maybe you should fill the bug report at
kernel and let us triage it correctly.

Friendly,

Sven Luther