Re: Using new Debian-Installer on oldworld PowerMac 9500

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:25:46PM +0200, Martin Geier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:35:12PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:13:32PM +0200, Martin Geier wrote:
> [snip]
> > > ./2004-08-22/powerpc-small/floppy/boot.img: Smiling-Mac-icon, then
> > > the Mac-tux-icon and floppy-activity. Then the screen gets black
> > > except
> > > the tux in the middle, which now has (I think) inverted colors and
> > > the
> > > monitor goes into standby (using an ATI Mach64). Using a Mac Picasso
> > > 520
> > > nothing happens on screen, only the floppy stops working.
> > Mmm What kind of ATI MAch64 do you have ? They should be supported :
> > CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
> > CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX=y
> > CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y
> Under woody both cards work... Here the kernel-messages concerning the
> mach64:
> kernel: atyfb: mach64GX (ATI888GX00) [0x00d7 rev 0x03] 2M VRAM, 14.31818 MHz XTAL, 135 MHz PLL, 50 Mhz MCLK, 50 Mhz XCLK
> kernel: atyfb: monitor sense=0, mode 20
> kernel: Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
> kernel: fb0: ATY Mach64 frame buffer device on PCI
> Are the debian-installer-floppies using kernel 2.6? Shall I try out

There is both the powerpc-small/floppy ones, which are based on 2.4, and the
powerpc/floppy which are based on 2.6.

> 2.6 on woody (mh, i would have to upgrade a lot of things...). Then I
> could verify if the fbdev works...

That would be great.

> > > ./2004-08-22/powerpc-small/floppy/ofonlyboot.img: Smiling-Mac-icon,
> > > then
> > > the Mac-tux-icon and floppy-activity. Sometimes the screen gets
> > > black except
> > > the tux in the middle, which now has (I think) inverted colors.
> > > Finally
> > > the floppy comes out. Inserting the root-floppy and pressing enter
> > > initiates again floppy-activity, but I can't see anything :(
> > This seems to work, but you don't have fbdev console. Can you try
> > setting up a
> > serial console to understand what is happening ?
> Mm, i'll try that. Is the kernel configured to  print its console to the serial
> console? [also see below] Or do you expect an OF error message?

I don't really know, my experience with oldworld is exclusively second hand.
you would have to give the console=ttyS1,9200 or whatever is the speed/serial
console for your hardware. The right driver is builtin for this to work
without problem.

> > > ./2004-08-22/powerpc/floppy/boot.img: Gives a red-crossed tux
> > > ./2004-08-22/powerpc/floppy/ofonlyboot.img: Also gives a red-crossed
> > > tux
> > This i would really like to know why this is happening.
> Do you know what a red-cross means? Something like "error while
> decompressing"?

Really, no idea. I have never seen miboot working first hand.

> > > Some questions:
> > > Am I running into floppy-errors or is sarge on a PowerMac 9500 not
> > > yet
> > > ready?
> Did somebody get it working on that machine already?

No idea.

> > > Whats the difference between boot.img and ofonlyboot.img?
> > ofonly has the of driver or something like that for fbdev, while the
> > other has
> > the real ones.
> If I understand this correctly, it would be possible to get the
> "installer-console" via OF to the serial port? What about redirecting
> the OF to the Mach64?

No, i don't think this is possible, since there is no graphic driver in the OF
for those machines.

> > Both i think, -powerpc is more likely to get your old-world pmac
> > experiences
> > people contributing, but -boot is the right place for it. Keep both in
> > the
> > loop.
> done.
>
> Greetings,
> Martin
>
> PS: Would you prefer not to get an offlist-reply?

I don't care, i can hit 'd' all right on my mutt setup, and usually read the
personal mails more often than the list ones.

Friendly,

Sven Luther