Re: Using new Debian-Installer on oldworld PowerMac 9500

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:13:32PM +0200, Martin Geier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to install sarge via the new debian-installer on a
> PowerMac 9500 (200MHz, 2 Gig SCSI disk, 128MB RAM). I tried several
> floppy-images from http://people.debian.org/~luther/d-i/images/, here a
> short summary:
>
> ./2004-08-22/powerpc-small/floppy/boot.img: Smiling-Mac-icon, then
> the Mac-tux-icon and floppy-activity. Then the screen gets black except
> the tux in the middle, which now has (I think) inverted colors and the
> monitor goes into standby (using an ATI Mach64). Using a Mac Picasso 520
> nothing happens on screen, only the floppy stops working.

Mmm What kind of ATI MAch64 do you have ? They should be supported :

CONFIG_FB_ATY=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY_GX=y
CONFIG_FB_ATY_CT=y

> ./2004-08-22/powerpc-small/floppy/ofonlyboot.img: Smiling-Mac-icon, then
> the Mac-tux-icon and floppy-activity. Sometimes the screen gets black except
> the tux in the middle, which now has (I think) inverted colors. Finally
> the floppy comes out. Inserting the root-floppy and pressing enter
> initiates again floppy-activity, but I can't see anything :(

This seems to work, but you don't have fbdev console. Can you try setting up a
serial console to understand what is happening ?

> ./2004-08-22/powerpc/floppy/boot.img: Gives a red-crossed tux
>
> ./2004-08-22/powerpc/floppy/ofonlyboot.img: Also gives a red-crossed tux

This i would really like to know why this is happening.

> Some questions:
>
> Am I running into floppy-errors or is sarge on a PowerMac 9500 not yet
> ready?
>
> Whats the difference between boot.img and ofonlyboot.img?

ofonly has the of driver or something like that for fbdev, while the other has
the real ones.

> Any ideas?
>
> Greetings,
> Martin
>
> PS: woody (2.2.20 & 2.4.18) runs fine on that machine...
>
> [XPost to -boot & -powerpc, which one is better?]

Both i think, -powerpc is more likely to get your old-world pmac experiences
people contributing, but -boot is the right place for it. Keep both in the
loop.

Friendly,

Sven Luther