Re: quik and initrd and kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc

Derrik Pates wrote:

> Christian Leimer wrote:
>> Now I have this in my quik.conf:
>>
>> image = /boot/vmlinux
>>         ramdisk=/boot/initrd.img
>>         root=/dev/sda5
>>         label = test
>>
>> but still does not work.
>>
>> My disk is connected to an uw adaptec card.
>> How do I tell the kernel to use the aic7xxx module?
>
> Do you have a separate /boot FS? How far does it get - does it load and
> start the kernel? Does the kernel still panic? Can you change the
> 'root=' parameter to '/dev/ram', and add something like
>
>     append="init=/bin/sh"
>
> and see if it actually loads the initrd? You should get a shell
> (although it'll be _extremely_ minimal).

I dont have a seperate boot fs its on the same as root.

My quik.conf is now:
image = /boot/vmlinux
        append="ramdisk_size=8192 init=/bin/sh"
        ramdisk=/boot/initrd.img
        root=/dev/ram
        label = test

but still gives the kernel panic. VFS: unable to mount root fs on ram0

I added the ramdisk_size string because without I got: RAMDISK driver
initialized 16 RAM disks of 0(NULL)K size 1024 blocksize
With the string I got 8192K so may be this is a bug in the
kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc package?

If i remeber correct when I use the debian-installer kernel and the
initrd.gz I got a message: compressed ramdisk image found or so and then
debian-installer started. But not with this kernel-image. So I  dont know
whats different betwen these two kernels. But I think it could be that the
kernel doesnt find the initrd.img. Could this be the reason?

So I am still trying to understand what goes wrong, debian-installer now
takes the new 2.6 kernel as standard so I think it must support oldworld
and that it is possible to use quik and 2.6 kernel or not?

Anyone out there with an oldworld had luck with the
kernel-image-2.6.7-powerpc froms sarge?

Ok Thanks.

Chris.