Re: newbie XF86Config G4 867

Hi,

I've been trying to get a mail out as quickly as possible on this because..

I _solved_ my XF86Config problem!

I'll be sending a second mail after this one (which will be titled
'XF86Config-4 and dpkg-reconfigure'), explaining how I did it to avoid the
same issues for other users, and to let people know about my suspicions about
dpkg-reconfigure based on my recent experiences. But, since sebastian replied
to my original mail, I thought I'd reply to his.

> > If I can't get a solution, I'll keep mucking around, trying to figure out
> > where, for instance, dpkg-reconfigure writes the file (xf66config is much
> > more explicit about this) and messing around with some of the settings,
> > trying different config files/locations (according to "man
> > XF86Config-4"), etc..
>
> if the suggestions below, do not help, i recommend moving all these config
> files away and then issue "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86". in my
> experience, only /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 should be the config to use.

In mine, too, now that I've mucked around with it for days. Only thing is, I
now suspect a problem with dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 that really
confused me for a while. Read my next mail if you're curious why I think
there might be a problem.

> perhaps the Linux Mail User HOWTO helps you, get the package
> "doc-linux-text" and
> $ zless /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/en-text/Mail-User-HOWTO.gz

I'll do that, but for the moment, I'm using Kmail, since I got it to work just
fine. I _do_ want to learn mail/mailx tho, but I'm just about to start that
chapter in 'UNIX Unbounded: A Beginner's Approach,' which I highly recommend
to any other *nix nuBs.

> > At this point, I'm guessing that the BusID for the video card is wrong,
> > but neither Apple System Profiler nor lspci made it very clear what the
> > ID is in 0:0:0 format. Googling didn't help much either.
>
> i am not so sure either, but my lspci says:
>
> 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350
> [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]

I should have sent that in my original mail. I was going under the guess,
based on lspci, that the port needed to be BusID PCI:0:10:0.

> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "ATI Mobility Radeon 9600"
>     Driver      "radeon"
>     BusID       "PCI:0:16:0"
>     Option      "UseFBDev" "true"
>     Option      "AGPMode" "4"
>     Option      "EnablePageFlip"
>     Option      "DRIReinit"
> EndSection

I find the BusID very interesting. Really, check out my next post.

> so it seems that lspci is hex and XF86Config-4 is dec. send us your
> output of "lspci".

Since you asked, here's lspci and lspci -n:

$ lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 1.5 AGP
0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
0000:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 1.5 PCI
0000:10:17.0 ff00: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo Mac I/O (rev 03)
0000:10:18.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0000:10:19.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0000:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth 1.5 Internal PCI
0000:20:0e.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Lucent Microelectronics FW323
0000:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth GMAC (Sun GEM)
(rev 01)
$ lspci -n
0000:00:0b.0 0600: 106b:002d
0000:00:10.0 0300: 10de:0110 (rev b2)
0000:10:0b.0 0600: 106b:002e
0000:10:17.0 ff00: 106b:0022 (rev 03)
0000:10:18.0 0c03: 106b:0019
0000:10:19.0 0c03: 106b:0019
0000:20:0b.0 0600: 106b:002f
0000:20:0e.0 0c00: 11c1:5811
0000:20:0f.0 0200: 106b:0021 (rev 01)

> you might also try with leaving out BusID completely, sometimes it
> works (on x86).

As a matter of fact, that worked (though unfortunately, I had worked this out
_before_ I received your mail, but wasn't yet able to send mail to announce
it.) ;P

Even though I was a (little) too fast for the list *preen*, thanks so much for
helping out. At this point, I'm working on the fact that I get no sound, and
if I run out of ideas on it, I'll probably post to the list a little later.

My best,

Jon