Re: Which installation on Pmac 867 single-cpu?

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 10:09:14PM -0700, jon salenger wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Yours is the only one I've received so far about
> anything other than linux graphic apps ;P Perhaps I hit a nerve.
>
> > The community is often forthright, but I love it. :-)
>
> Forthright is good, IMHO. Everything else is kind of a waste of time.
>
> > I think you're right that sarge will be easier.
>
> I'm skeptical, based on my readings so far, that eas* is applicable to any
> debian installation (until you already know how to do it). ;P

You will be surprised i think by debian0installer.

> My wishlist: a web-based debian installation simulator :)

hehe, good idea.

> > With sarge, the easiest approach at the moment is to grab the current
> > daily businesscard or netinst ISO image, rather than a full CD. Those
> > images do grab various numbers of packages from the network, but they
> > take care of almost all the mechanics of that themselves.
>
> I'm very nervous about it, but I installed the netinstall iso and (if it
> dl'd correctly) plan on burning/attempting to install this eve.
> I was checking out the debian site area on sarge ports status, and it said
> the sarge businesscard iso (hadn't even heard of that 'til you mentioned it
> and I googled it) was (broken) for powerpc - new-world macs.

Mmm, not sure if this is still uptodate, i think not, or Colin would have told
you about it.

> > If you want to install with 2.6 directly, use a businesscard image; the
> > netinsts don't have the 2.6 kernel .debs on them yet.
>
> I guess, as above, that's out of the question. If I'm net installing, which
> kernel do you recommend? The Ben Herrenschmidt kernel?

If you chose the 2.6 install, then it should install you the latest debian
powerpc 2.6.7 kernel, which should be just fine. It is mostly the same as the
2.6.7 kernel.org kernel, which is what you should use now that benh has merged
almost all tis changes in it.

The 2.4 install should do also, and has been a bit more tested, and you can
install 2.6 after the install is finished.

Friendly,

Sven Luther