Re: Which installation on Pmac 867 single-cpu?

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. Yours is the only one I've received so far about
anything other than linux graphic apps ;P Perhaps I hit a nerve.

> The community is often forthright, but I love it. :-)

Forthright is good, IMHO. Everything else is kind of a waste of time.

> I think you're right that sarge will be easier.

I'm skeptical, based on my readings so far, that eas* is applicable to any
debian installation (until you already know how to do it). ;P

My wishlist: a web-based debian installation simulator :)

> With sarge, the easiest approach at the moment is to grab the current
> daily businesscard or netinst ISO image, rather than a full CD. Those
> images do grab various numbers of packages from the network, but they
> take care of almost all the mechanics of that themselves.

I'm very nervous about it, but I installed the netinstall iso and (if it
dl'd correctly) plan on burning/attempting to install this eve.
I was checking out the debian site area on sarge ports status, and it said
the sarge businesscard iso (hadn't even heard of that 'til you mentioned it
and I googled it) was (broken) for powerpc - new-world macs.

> If you want to install with 2.6 directly, use a businesscard image; the
> netinsts don't have the 2.6 kernel .debs on them yet.

I guess, as above, that's out of the question. If I'm net installing, which
kernel do you recommend? The Ben Herrenschmidt kernel?

> Network *booting* is also possible, but (a little) more work. In your
> case it wouldn't buy you anything.

When possible, I like 'work smarter, not harder.' I'll avoid netboot, then,
unless all else fails.

> I'd never heard of that CD before, but I see it on cdimage.debian.org. I
> think it's basically a set of the changed packages from 3.0r0 to 3.0r2;
> see <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#update-cd>.

Thanks for making me feel like my question wasn't as ignorant as I'd
expected.

I'll probably post again after my (most likely failed - due to my ignorance)
installation attempt.

Thanks again,

Jon

PS, since this is my first time replying to the list, I'm not sure I did it
correctly, replying to all (both yourself and the list). If you could
advise, so I don't step on the etiquette, I'd appreciate it.