Re: creating kernel debs on other architectures

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004, Ondrej Certik wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a slow powerpc mac and a fast i386 machine. I know how to
> crosscompile the kernel on the i386 (just change ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
> variables in the top Makefile) and do "make zImage" but then I must
> move all the modules to the ppc by hand. Better way is to crosscompile
> it using make-kpkg and install only a deb (like any other kernel in
> debian).
>
> Is it possible? And how?
>
> Ondrej Certik
>
> P.S. Please send me a CC, I am not on the list.

Just changing the variables is not enough. You must first compile yourself a
cross-compiler and cross-binary-utils for a PPC target:

http://people.debian.org/~debacle/cross.html

Once this is done, you can use:

$ CC=/usr/bin/powerpc-linux-gcc make-kpkg --config menuconfig --revision mykernel.1 kernel_image

I hope this helps.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, ICT Consultant
http://www.iki.fi/q-funk/