Which installation on Pmac 867 single-cpu?

Hi,

# Skip intro if you don't care (paragraph 2 for hardware desc.)
# Sorry about the length. I talk too much in person, too :)
# If I do anything flame-able, please let me know. I'll learn.

I've been curious about GNU/linux for some years now, and have just recently
found a block of time to devote to the endeavor of installing/learning the
system.

Starting a few weeks ago, I installed YDL 3.0.1 on the master (60G) drive,
and 2 partitions (OS9.2.2 and OS10.2.8) on the slave(80G) of my Powermac 867
mHz (single-cpu ? the 2001 model w/ NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX 32M). The biggest
hitch was figuring out the ISOs (md5sums, burning correctly, etc.). After
that, installation was relatively easy. I still don't have working sound,
can't figure out how to get dependencies for software installation, etc.,
but I'm working on it.

Since beginning, I have delved a little into bash, and have been reading
extensively, both online and in library books on Unix admin and various
distros, though much is still Greek to me. I am at the point, after a few
weeks, that I can navigate the filesystem (awkwardly) and do such monumental
tasks as editing the .bashrc file with vim (also awkwardly). ;P

Anyway, because my initial interest in GNU/linux was inspired by 'The
Cathedral and The Bazaar' (which a friend, the sysadmin of AMNH, pointed me
to) and lectures by Richard Stallman, the distro I really want to use is
Debian, as it seems the closest to fsf and GNU (and, frankly, looking at the
discussion boards, the best community).

# End of intro

Before I install, though, I have a few questions. Any advice would be most
appreciated.

1) Which version to install?

>From my reading of the mailing lists, it seems I might be better off
installing sarge than woody. I've already dl'd the
"debian-30r2-powerpc-binary-.iso"s ISOs, but explicit advice before I try
them would be most appreciated. Keep in mind I'm a nuB++, UNIX and
GNU/linux.

If this helps, I'm planning on using typical net software (mozilla, email,
ftp, telnet, etc), mp3 (???) and video stuff (mplayer?), some office
software (mostly WP), definitely X, and MOL for mac graphics app (eg, Adobe
Illustrator). *

* If anyone can recommend GNU/linux graphic apps that compare with Adobe,
please point me to them and I'll skip MOL. If not now, maybe as more users
like myself switch to *nices :)

2) Which method of installation to use?

I installed YDL with ISOs, as mentioned above, and it went rather smoothly.
My default, as such, would be to install again using CDs. I have read a good
deal about network installation of debian, and to be honest, I find it a bit
intimidating, but if advised seriously to do so, I guess I can take the
plunge and try it out *eek!*. I also read a little about jigdo, which debian
seems to highly recommend, and I'd assume I could use it with YDL (if I can
get it to install). Anyone recommend it personally?

3) Hardware recognition (and other potential install difficulties)

I was reading another thread in the list from someone thinking about
installing Debian on a Pbook, and one reply advised to get "someone else's
XFree86 file" for device recognition. They didn't, though, explain how to
get those files except from someone who uses your equipment, and since I'm
the only person I know even trying to use GNU/linux (though many friends are
curiously awaiting my success or failure), I don't have anyone I know to
ask. I assume then, that I should ask here, so anyone who uses my machine
(see intro) that can help out... please.

4) On the ftp site I'm using (debian.lcs.mit.edu), I also notice a 3.0r2.01
update iso. I apologize for the stupid question here, but, assuming this
contains more recent updates to the woody distro, would I use it during the
installation process (as disk#1?) or after installation, (or should I just
ignore this iso altogether)?

5) I've subscribed to this list, but is there any way to get the emails in a
digest format??? I get 100 emails min. a day already :(

I guess that's about it, unless someone thinks of something else I should
know/think about.

Thanks much,

Jon

"The Supreme Fascist's plan is to make us enjoy our suffering. The sooner we
die, the sooner we defy His plans." - Paul Erdös