creating kernel debs on other architectures

Hello,

I have a slow powerpc mac and a fast i386 machine. I know how to
crosscompile the kernel on the i386 (just change ARCH and CROSS_COMPILE
variables in the top Makefile) and do "make zImage" but then I must
move all the modules to the ppc by hand. Better way is to crosscompile
it using make-kpkg and install only a deb (like any other kernel in
debian).

Is it possible? And how?

Ondrej Certik

P.S. Please send me a CC, I am not on the list.

-------------------------

Bellow is what I tried on the i386. (I changed "ARCH=ppc" and
"CROSS_COMPILE=/usr/powerpc/bin/powerpc-linux-" in the top makefile.)
Note that if I use the "make zImage" than the same kernel sources
crosscompile ok. I am using debian unstable.

ondra@sila:~/mek/linux$ fakeroot make-kpkg --revision 0.1 kernel_image
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
dpkg-architecture: warning: Specified GNU system type powerpc-linux does
not match gcc system type i386-linux.
debian/rules:1291: *** Error. I do not know where the kernel image goes
to [kimagedest undefined] The usual case for this is that I could not
determine which arch or subarch tihs machine belongs to. Please specify
a subarch, and try again..  Stop.

ondra@sila:~/mek/linux$ fakeroot make-kpkg --arch powerpc --revision 0.1