Re: how to map apple key to ALT with xmodmap

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 05:01:35PM +0200, Pander wrote:
> Hmm, can't find the keyboard settings for gnome

They're in Applications -> Desktop Preferences -> Keyboard, and then in the
Layout Options tab. However, I don't think any of those options do what you
want.

> and the two examples previously send for xmodmap resulted in apple key
> being mapped to the TAB key. Are there any other alternatives?

Strange, those examples looked similar to what I use on my i386 laptop to
swap the alt and windows keys, to make them behave like my iBook. Maybe you
also need to unset Mod4, like so:

  clear Mod4
  clear Mod1
  keycode 115=Alt_L
  keycode 64=Super_L
  add Mod4 = Super_L
  add Mod1 = Alt_L

This would effectively swap the apple and alt keys.

By the way, I have solved your problem differently: I have simply set the
keybindings for my WM to use Meta as their modifier. So, I have Meta-Tab for
window cycling (so it uses the apple keys). I use alt only to access
program menus.

--
Matijs van Zuijlen