Re: How to configure yaboot for initrd? I need help...

According to Albert Cahalan, on 21 Jul 2004 14:01:43 -0400,
>On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 15:57, Cedric Pradalier wrote:
>
>>  Maybe, but when your system is dead saying only "syntax error", it
>is>  the only solution I found to restore the situation from osx. Can
>you>  propose a better one ? Knowing that I didn't have a rescue disk
>at> hand.
>>
>>  To avoid having to use this rescue method, I added this syntax
>checking>  step in my ybin but Ethan does not seem to be interested by
>patches for>  version 1.3.
>
>I suggest that you simply start maintaining it. Ethan shouldn't
>object, since he'd kind of disowned the old code, but even if
>he does... somebody's got to maintain it.

I don't think I can maitain the whole package. I don't understand a
lot to all this openfirmware stuff. I just know how to parse and check a
file, especially when the parser already exists :).

Maybe I can just see with the package maintainer how to add the syntax
checking ybin in the yaboot package. Basically, it is just Ethan parser
with prom_printf replaced with printf. I would have preferred a lex/yack
scanner but it was longer to write and I was afraid to introduce new
errors.

>Version 2 could be years away. It's already been 2.5 years
>since the rewrite was started.

I'm afraid so...

--
Cedric

"[Of course] I'm French! Why do think I have this outrageous
accent, you silly king-a?!"  Monty Python and the Holy Grail