Re: iBookG4 pseudo-sleep / 2.6.3 problems

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 13:57:44 +0200
Helge Kreutzmann <kreutzm@itp.uni-hannover.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 09:33:01PM +0000, Joerg Sommer wrote:
> > I experienced the same problem at me with a 2.6.6 kernel. If the lid is
> > closed a unknown period the ibook powers off. The G4 doesn't support
> > sleep-mode currently so the backgroud light is only switched off. But
> > maybe there is a piece hardware which powers off the iBook if the lid is
> > close too long. I have also the presumption that this only happens if it
> > runs with battery, but I'm not sure.
> >
> > Does anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution?
>
> Yes, I had that once too. Shortly closing the lid does no harm, but
> a few minutes shut it down. Recent iBook G4 (1 Mhz), Bens 2.4.25,
> PowerBook6,5. I have not experimented further on this. And yes, this
> was on battery.
>
> Greetings
>
>          Helge

This problem also exists with 2.4.25-powerpc on a pismo.  It maybe
something to do with pbbuttonsd and seems to only happen when you set
coversleep=no .  So the work around I use sounds like it won't work
for you.  It used to work for me to leave coversleep=no but something
changed during one of the upgrade cycles and it stopped working.  I
don't know exactly when.  If you want to you might use the dated
archive server to revert you system back 6 months or so and see if you
can get that problem to disappear.  Then, you'd have to gradually
bring it up to data (probably a kernel or pbbutonsd package) until you
found in which upgrade it broke, then you could file a bug and get the
bugger fixed.  Yeah, it's a lot of work, but if you want it fixed
someone's got to do it.

I believe mine was doing this on ac power as well as on battery.  See,
I figured I could just close down the lid and walk away because it had
ac power and wouldn't drain the battery.  I was wrong.

Sam George

--
   .''`.          /\/'`\         debian@spishack.com
  : :' :        .::/:::::..    .  irc://fslc.usu.edu/#cira