Re: Booting installer on RS/6000 43p-140

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 07:00:21PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello,
> for helping d-i I got an 43p-140 (IBM RS/6000).  Since there are no
> specific install instructions on
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/index.html

Cool, ...

> I used http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/getstarted.php
>
> I get to the open firmware prompt, and do
> >setenv load-base 1000000
> and
> >setenv real-base c00000
>
> Both commands suceed. Current firmware is TIG01150 (which should be
> sufficient, according to above page). Now the next command whould be
>
> boot cdrom:
>
> After this, the cdrom is briefly accessed, and then nothing. The
> screen does not change. Doing it the "Apple" style, i.e.
>
> boot cd:,\install\yaboot
>
> simply yields an ok, though.
>
> Is it possible, to boot d-i on this prep-machine? And if so, which
> would be the proper command?

Ah, this is a PReP machine, very fine then. It won't naturally not boot
yaboot, but you should try netbooting :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd

Or even the 2.6 kernel when it will become available (tomorrow i think,
but i can build you a special one) :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/daily/powerpc/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd

> The tutorial from Rolf Brudeseth mentioned on the ports page seems to
> be gone.

Well, feel free to contribute to the debian-installer installation
manual a prep specific part, i would help you as best i can on this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther