Re: G5 install?

On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:59:46PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 12:56:06PM -0700, Brad Boyer wrote:
> > It seems bad to me for one of these scripts to be so sure that it can
> > load a particular module, when the rest of the install is pretty
> > careful to allow a user in expert mode to override module selection.
> > Of course, loading a module shouldn't really crash the machine, but
> > that's another story.
>
> The problem with floppy.o and a few other ISA-aera modules is that they
> randomly poke into the I/O space - something that will crash lots of
> machines, including macs.  But AFAIK there's no power4 or ppc970-based
> machine with a floppy driver, so shouldn't we just drop that driver?

That is another possibility, but still, the fact that it doesn't break
on other pmacs of the powerpc flavour is probably only luck, so fixing
the kernel driver in the powerpc specific patch would be a better work
around, until the legacy driver problem is solved in the 2.7+ kernel
trees.

Those would be the serial driver, which is already fixed, the parallel
one, the floppy driver, the ps2 atkbd and mouse stuff, what else ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther