Re: pbbuttonsd new problems

Am Mittwoch, 7. Juli 2004 09:52 schrieb Stefano Zacchiroli:

> BTW the most annoying fact about this pbbuttonsd is that when pbbuttonsd
> crashes there's no way to get it up and running again without rebooting
> the machine. "/etc/init.d/pbbuttonsd stop" doesn't work and after
> manually -9-killing pbbuttonsd there's no way to start it again since it
> complaints that another daemong is running even it that's not the case,
> are there any hiddent pid/lock files I'm not aware of?

Pbbuttonsd installs an message queue which it can't clean up if kicked off
with kill -9. Use 'ipcs' (as root) to check the message queue id and after
that remove it with 'ipcrm msg <msgid>'. After that procedure pbbuttonsd will
start again without reboot.

It seems that the new problems occour in conjunction with kernel 2.6.7. Most
of you use it. I never saw those problems with kernel 2.4, so I have to
install kernel 2.6.7 and have a closer look.

There have been a lot of changes since pbbuttons 0.5.9 but the sleep code
didn't change, so I have no explanation for the failures yet. I'm thankful
for every hint how this behaviour can be deterministically reproduced.

  Best Regrads
    Matthias