Re: iBook G4 install turning into a nightmare

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:59:32PM +0100, Sam Halliday said
> Rob Weir wrote:
> > Sam Halliday said
> > >  1 - powernowd does not work! with cpu frequency stuff all built
> > >      into the 2.6.7 kernel, the modules loaded for 2.6.6 and
> > >      sysfs mounted correctly... the folder
> > >        /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
> > >      is completely empty! no sub folders... nothing!
> > You need a kernel patch to support cpufreq on your machine, you can get
> > it here: http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-dev/200406/msg00024.html.
> > It's been merged into Linus' BK tree.  I use cpufreqd, and I've attached
> > my config file.  It runs at 1GHz when on AC power, half that on battery.
>
> cool... its working now. whats the pros/cons of cpufreqd against powernowd?

Hm, I just gave powernowd a go.  It has an interesting idea of gradually
sliding the CPU speed up and down instead of stepping by hundreds of
megahertz like cpufreqd does.  On the other hand, it only cares about
CPU load, and doesn't change CPU speed depending on the power source,
etc.  And it didn't actually seem to lower the CPU speed according to
"cat /proc/cpuinfo", nor in /sys/, but it does (according to strace)
seem to be writing to the correct locations.

> btw... where in /proc can i find the laptop hd/cpu temperature? there is no
> entry in /proc/cpuinfo and i set CONFIG_TAU=y (no AVERGE though) in the kernel
> build.

You don't want tau on a ibook g4, you want CONFIG_THERM_ADT746X in the
"Device Drivers" -> Macintosh -> "Support for thermal mgmnt on laptops
with ADT 746x chipset" menu.  Make it a module so you can unload it
during suspend to disk.

> > >  2 - pbbuttonsd fails with the following:
>
> this works when i compile my own kernel. i don't know why it didn't work with
> the debian kernel. odd.

Where you perhaps using the Fn key?

> > >  4 - i still can't get X started! and worse yet, it takes my system
> > >      with it when it fails, so i have to force a reset.
> >
> > You need to have at least 2.6.7-rc2, or the radeon is unusably flickery.
> > I've attached my XF86Config-4.  Note that I have DRI disabled, since it
> > (iirc) makes pmdisk fail to resume.
>
> unfortunately this has brought me no closer to having X on my system. what
> framebuffer do you use? i have deselected all but the ofvideo driver. are you
> maybe using the radeon one? are you using any non-standard kernel options?

You seem to have this sorted...

--
Words of the day:      Agfa Capricorn Aldergrove tempest World Trade Center PGP