Re: iBook G4 install turning into a nightmare

Rob Weir wrote:
> Sam Halliday said
> >  1 - powernowd does not work! with cpu frequency stuff all built
> >      into the 2.6.7 kernel, the modules loaded for 2.6.6 and
> >      sysfs mounted correctly... the folder
> >        /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0
> >      is completely empty! no sub folders... nothing!
> You need a kernel patch to support cpufreq on your machine, you can get
> it here: http://lists.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-dev/200406/msg00024.html.
> It's been merged into Linus' BK tree.  I use cpufreqd, and I've attached
> my config file.  It runs at 1GHz when on AC power, half that on battery.

cool... its working now. whats the pros/cons of cpufreqd against powernowd?

btw... where in /proc can i find the laptop hd/cpu temperature? there is no
entry in /proc/cpuinfo and i set CONFIG_TAU=y (no AVERGE though) in the kernel
build.

> >  2 - pbbuttonsd fails with the following:

this works when i compile my own kernel. i don't know why it didn't work with
the debian kernel. odd.

> >  4 - i still can't get X started! and worse yet, it takes my system
> >      with it when it fails, so i have to force a reset.
>
> You need to have at least 2.6.7-rc2, or the radeon is unusably flickery.
> I've attached my XF86Config-4.  Note that I have DRI disabled, since it
> (iirc) makes pmdisk fail to resume.

unfortunately this has brought me no closer to having X on my system. what
framebuffer do you use? i have deselected all but the ofvideo driver. are you
maybe using the radeon one? are you using any non-standard kernel options?

cheers,
Sam
--
Free High School Science Texts