Re: G5 report problematic succes

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 02:21:07PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 02:28:08AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:12:58PM +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> > > I tried the dailly buil from 03/28, 03/29, 03/30 and 03/31
> > > none was abble either to boot from cd either to not hangs
> >
> > Yeah, i guess the yaboot on the CDs don't know about the power4
> > kernels, so you probably used the powerpc config, which will not work.
> > The power4 initrd and vmlinux should be on the CD though, and with a
> > bit of yaboot magic you can boot them (maybe even by calling them
> > directly from yaboot ?)
> >
> > This is the next step who needs fixing, but none of the powermac
> > debian-installer guys seemed to be interested in that,
>
> Like I said at the time, I just wasn't interested in doing it *first*.
> It's on my list.

Yeah. i hope i didn't sound to agressive or something, this was not my
intentions. Let's make sure we have this straight for beta4 though,
including the building of the cdrom isos for other subarches.

I wonder if it would make sense to include the miboot floppies on the
cdrom isos also, or not, don't know if those support both netbooting and
cdrom booting, if not, we should add a new floppy target maybe. Ideally,
the cdrom isos should include :

  powerpc : vmlinux + initrd.gz, vmlinuz-chrp.initrd,
    vmlinuz-chrp-rs6k.initrd & vmlinuz-prep.initrd

  power3 : vmlinux + initrd.gz & vmlinuz-chrp-rs6k.initrd

  power4 : vmlinux + initrd.gz & vmlinuz-chrp-rs6k.initrd

  powerpc-small : cdrom fetching miboot floppy images

And have a yaboot config file which would enable to call either of the 3
kernels, powerpc, power3 and power4/G5.

We should make sure the cd is autobootable on both pmac and IBM boxes,
not sure about pure chrp (is there something else than longtrail and
pegasos in this categiry ?).

Furthermore, the pegasos cannot use yaboot (yet) but has its own little
boot menu thingy, so i will be looking into bringing this on the CD-ROM
also.

I will get a g3 ibook tomorrow, so i can have a look at this more
easily, and may get a old world pmac by LinuxTag. It should be a bit
late though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther