Re: G5 report problematic succes

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:12:58PM +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 04:50:33PM +0200, Eric Deveaud wrote:
>
> > Notice that normally, you should have been able to use the
> > debian-installer for installing debian. I have a power4 config and
> > altough i don't know if the yaboot on the cdrom was fixed to include the
> > power3 and power4 kernels, you should have been able to circumvent that.
>
> I tried the dailly buil from 03/28, 03/29, 03/30 and 03/31
> none was abble either to boot from cd either to not hangs

Yeah, i guess the yaboot on the CDs don't know about the power4 kernels,
so you probably used the powerpc config, which will not work. The power4
initrd and vmlinux should be on the CD though, and with a bit of yaboot
magic you can boot them (maybe even by calling them directly from yaboot ?)

This is the next step who needs fixing, but none of the powermac
debian-installer guys seemed to be interested in that, and i have no
yaboot experience, so any volunteer help to fix that should be welcome.
I think that only a fixed yaboot.conf is needed.

> > Could you at least try out the kernel-image-2.4.25-power4-pmac kernel on
> > this G5, to confirm that it works ?
>
> I can give a try, I just finished a 2.6.4 build
> Linux hebus.sis.pasteur.fr 2.6.4 #2 SMP Thu Apr 1 15:51:33 CEST 2004 ppc
> GNU/Linux
>
> but to be honest I don't have any idea about how to use the kernel*
> debian packages. i've always built the kernel using the prehistoric way
> ie: make [oldc|menu]config, make  ;-)
> as i don't care for a lot of features built in the prebuild kernels....

Well, you can get the standalone kernel and cdrom initrd from :

http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/current/power4/cdrom/

And boot it with the cdrom in the drive. Alternatively, you can get only
the vmlinux and boot that from the yaboot prompr, and tell me if it
worked, or not.

Friendly,

Sven Luther