Re: Problems with install on Power Mac G3 minitower

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
Anyway, I'm back to having it crash during install. This time I got as far as the dhcp initialisation (which went ok, according to my dhcp server log). I then got the "dhcp went ok" dialog with the continue button, but it had locked up at that point and hitting keys on the keyboard had no effect. That's the weird part: it locks up at different spots, which again fit well with the "funny SCSI board" theory. I'd wonder if I had a hardware failure on my hands, but the thing works well under MacOS.

Sigh. Well, at least that's _some_ progress. Again, apologies.

Well... could be a SCSI problem or could be some BootX issue, difficult
to say. Did you try BootX with "no video driver" option too ?

Yep. That's the only way it'll work. With "no video driver" OFF, I get severely corrupted video (i.e. everything's in the top two inches of the screen, in three or four large squares that seem to mirror each other, and completely unreadable).

I just looked inside the thing yet again with the idea of removing the SCSI board and connecting the drives to the other bus, but the connectors are different. Sigh.

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)
http://www.rjmx.net/~ron