Re: Problems with install on Power Mac G3 minitower

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 09:39, Ron Murray wrote:

I've been having lots of problems getting woody installed on a Power Mac G3 minitower (300MHz processor, 128M RAM). Being an oldworld box, I can't boot it from CD. I tried installing from floppies, but that tended to mostly crash just after checking disk partitions on initial kernel load. I eventually downloaded the boot files and saved them on one of the two hard drives in an HFS partition, and managed to get the installer running using BootX.

What version of BootX ? Also, do you have any PCI cards in that machine,
and if yes, what are they ?

Ben.

   BootX version is 1.2.2. As for PCI cards, yes, I have three:

1. Atto "Express PCI" SCSI card. Has a SYM53c875 chip. No other markings.

2. Apple iX 3D video board. iXMICRO chip set. TI TVP3030 chip and
   iXMICRO Twin Turbo 9135-388.

3. Apple Fast Ethernet 10/100Base-T Card.

When I get Linux running finally, I'll be able to run lspci and find out more. Note that both the SCSI card and the video board are in use: the SCSI card runs the internal disk drives, and the video board is the display (the internal display device died some time ago; the PCI video board has been working fine with MacOS).

Thanks,

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)