Re: Problems with install on Power Mac G3 minitower

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 2141, somebody named Ron Murray inscribed this
message:
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >>    Anyway, I'm back to having it crash during install. This time I
> >> got as far as the dhcp initialisation (which went ok, according to my
> >> dhcp server log). I then got the "dhcp went ok" dialog with the
> >> continue button, but it had locked up at that point and hitting keys
> >> on the keyboard had no effect. That's the weird part: it locks up at
> >> different spots, which again fit well with the "funny SCSI board"
> >> theory. I'd wonder if I had a hardware failure on my hands, but the
> >> thing works well under MacOS.
> >>
> >>Sigh. Well, at least that's _some_ progress. Again, apologies.
> >
> > Well... could be a SCSI problem or could be some BootX issue,
> > difficult to say. Did you try BootX with "no video driver" option too
> > ?
>
>     Yep. That's the only way it'll work. With "no video driver" OFF, I
> get severely corrupted video (i.e. everything's in the top two inches of
> the screen, in three or four large squares that seem to mirror each
> other, and completely unreadable).
>
>     I just looked inside the thing yet again with the idea of removing
> the SCSI board and connecting the drives to the other bus, but the
> connectors are different. Sigh.

No chance of it being a termination problem, is there?  Linux is a lot more
picky about that than MacOS, at least on my 7600's builtin controllers.
Had to do some black magic when I put an IDE disk in and took a drive off
the internal SCSI chain. :^)

NRH
--
Any circuit design must contain at least one part which is obsolete, two
parts which are unobtainable, and three parts which are still under