Re: status of udev on powerpc

Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:
Hi,

I tried udev (packaged from Debian) yesterday and was surprised how well
it worked.

Until I rebooted, that is.  Turns out that my X Server won't start when
using udev.  I get a weird plasma effect, where the (console) content is
still visible, but with patches of white that get brighter and brighter
and start to turn colors, too.  Reminded of the problems when installing
X I tried both using the framebuffer and without, but no luck.

I can confirm that this worked for me, but produced the well know ibook problem of scrolling lines caused by lack of sync. I have had to hardcode the sync values into the xserver whereapon i now works. looking in the udev /dev, I can see that the framebuffer does not even appear. I am informed by upstream that the fb is not currently meant to be detected due to lack of sysfs but that this is one of the targetted areas for the next couple of releases.

So it looks like this m ay currently be a no-go on the iBook unless you want to get into fixing it.

I am also noticing an issue with udev where the console will not initalise but merely stays as a blank screen. Another thing which I think is related to this is that Synaptic will not start as "new process cannot be forked".

Bleh.  Should this package not still be in experimental?

James