Re: status of udev on powerpc

Viktor Rosenfeld <rosenfel@informatik.hu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I tried udev (packaged from Debian) yesterday and was surprised how well
> it worked.
>
> Until I rebooted, that is.  Turns out that my X Server won't start when
> using udev.  I get a weird plasma effect, where the (console) content is
> still visible, but with patches of white that get brighter and brighter
> and start to turn colors, too.  Reminded of the problems when installing
> X I tried both using the framebuffer and without, but no luck.

I guess you got the same problem as I. This is due to the fact that no
framebuffer driver has, currently, support for sysfs, so fb* nodes won't
get created in /dev.
Marco introduced a conf file /etc/udev/links.conf in which I added
some lines to get the framebuffer nodes in /dev (and adb too since it
is not handled by udev either)

If you do not use UseFBDev directive in XF86Config just ignore my
answer ;)

> This is on an iBook2.2 (700MHz) with an 2.6.4 kernel, the stock X server
> in Debian (not the one from Michael Dänzer).
>
> Any success reports of udev on ppc?

Yep, it rocks :)

> Ciao,
> Viktor

Cheers,

--
Mathieu Segaud

You're so full of shit that it's incredible.

	- Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel