Re: debian-installer on oldworld -- how-to ?

But... the kernel panics with a
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00
OK, I'm coming a little further : root=/dev/ram0 does the trick.
However, the initrd seems to be bad: I get the following message:
EXT2-fs error (device ramdisk (1,0)):
ext2_check page: bad entry in directory #2: rec_len is smaller than
minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0, name_len=0
Warning: unable to open an initial console
Kernel panic: no init found

I still have other initrds to try... maybe they will work ?
Thanks again,

Don't forget devfs=mount option, as devfs is needed for
debian-installer, but we don't want it on the final system.
I have been unable to reproduce this yesterday, whatever initrd+kernel
combination, root= and devfs=options I use: I just get an 'Unable to
mount root fs' message again.
I have absolutely no idea on why it seemed to go further... my OF is of
course broken, but used to be OK once you had the correct
settings.
I'll investigate further this weekend, but I doubt I'll be able to do
much there.

I was able to get Debian installed on an old nubus powerbook using the MkLinux boot loader extension and a Debian initrd image.

---
James Whatever
My niece called me "Uncle Robot" on the weekend!
Giant Robot Ltd, http://www.giantrobot.co.nz/