debian-installer on oldworld -- how-to ?

I'm currently trying to try debian-installer on an OldWorld -- as I got
it, the CD won't be bootable, and no floppy images are available.

I found some vmlinux+initrd.gz downloads, but I don't know what to do
with it ? I tried booting the provided vmlinux with quik, specifying
initrd=<path_to_initrd.gz> on the command-line : it boots fine, but all
I get is my normal prompt. I suspect this is because I also specified
root=<current_root_device>, but I had no idea which other root device I
could use...

Is there an oldworld-specific debian-installer howto somewhere,
or am I missing something obvious (do I need specific packages
installed (for an installer ???), or won't it work with quik anyway,

I'd really like to test this, so any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Simon Vallet
Due to massive spam, the address shown in the From: header
only accepts mail from Debian hosts. If you wish to mail me
privately, just use the 'user' local part.