Re: Kernel Quest, need pointers to a HOWTO for patching

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:22:18PM +0100, christian funk wrote:

> >Try adding testing sources and then apt-get update and then only the -t
> >testing line. no need to modify apt.conf.
>
> Super! That got that, BUT something is still off :(
>
> I tried to executed  dpkg-buildpackage  inside /usr/local/src/ and
> /usr/local/src/kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc-2.4.22/ but it ran into lots
> of error.
>
> I suspect I should have executed the  apt-get source -t testing
> kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc  in some other place than /usr/local/src/.
> My kernel-source-2.4.18/ is located in /usr/local/src.
>
> Now I'm left in /usr/local/src/ with
>
> kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc-2.4.22/
> kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc_2.4.22-1.1.dsc
> kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc_2.4.22-1.1.tar.gz
> kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc_2.4.22-1.1_all.deb
> kernel-source-2.4.18/
>
> 1) Where does all this stuff go?

when you apt-get source, it goes into the directory you are calling it
from. so /usr/local/src is ok. Altough i would put everything in a
subdirectory of it.

The stuff you have to download, and particularly the kernel-source
package, go into /usr/src/kernel-source... That is, you need to apt-get
_install_ kernel-source , or better yet, apt-get build-dep
kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc.

> 2) Do I need to trash something before trying again?

huh ?

> 3) Where do I execute dpkg-buildpackage once every is in place?

In the kernel-patch directory.

> While I'm asking:
>
> 4) When I've got the package built, I presumably get a
> kernel-source-2.4.22/, right?

No, you get a bunch of packages in the top directory.

> 5) I can then patch that with the bridge-nf diff, right? (execute patch
> in kernel-source-2.4.22)

Mmm, not sure, there is some make-kpkg magic for this, but then see
below.

> 6) Then I continue as with any, eh... "normal", kernel source:
> make menuconfig
> make-kpkg clean
> make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image
> dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.22-subarch_custom.1.0_powerpc.deb

No, if you do dpkg-buildpackage, it will do all the needed things to
build the kernel.

In your case, i would instead got the kernel-source tarball, unpack it
somewhere, apply by hand the bitkeeper.diff.gz (not sure this is needed
for oldpmac though) and then apply the bridge patch.

Alternatively you could get yourself a standard tree, either the
linux.org one, or one of the linuxppc ones, and then apply the bridge
patch there, and then build using make-kpkg.

Friendly,

Sven Luther