Re: mp3blaster, xmms and ogg-files

OoO Peu avant le début de l'après-midi du  jeudi 01 janvier 2004, vers
13:24, Michel Dänzer <daenzer@debian.org> disait:

>> > ALSA has  many problem, use the  OSS emulation instead of  native ALSA
>> > and all should work fine. I have switched back to OSS drivers recently

> So did  I in early 2.6.0-test, but  it's improved a lot  since then,
> and I've realised how much more powerful ALSA is.

Sure, even with  1.0.0rc2, many apps still are  unable to use properly
the native  ALSA driver  (mplayer for  example)  with snd-powermac and
some drivers do  not  work at all   (snd-usb-audio for me). I am  very
interested  by dmix, but each  application should deal with ALSA first
(and I am not a fan of using many wrappers). I'll see in one month. :)

Another  drawback is that with ALSA  everything becomes complex.  With
OSS, you   have /dev/dsp and  /dev/mixer.   You can easily  change the
default sound card  with some symbolic  link.  With ALSA, you  have so
many more devices, mixer settings can be very numerous (on my SB Live,
there are at  least  20 of them  !)  and  there  is no simple way   to
configure   this. BTW, does   there   exist  an ".asoundrc"  which  is
system-wide ?
--
Don't patch bad code - rewrite it.
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)