Re: CFP (Call for Participation) Debian PPC64

Albert Cahalan said:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 22:07, tom_gall@mac.com wrote:
>
>>   Thankfully this is not a huge undertaking as the goal is not to create
>> an end to end 64 bit system. (Tho that could be done, but perhaps
>> that's a discussion for another day)
>
> It's not as if the Linux apps are all 32-bit.
> Due to the Alpha, Opteron, and Itanium, the
> code should all be clean.
>
> You'll be running a mix if you go this route,
> keeping both libraries in memory. Yuck. Some
> apps need to be 64-bit. For example, procps
> must be compiled as a 64-bit executable if
> you want to support a 64-bit kernel.

Not true, at least on ppc64.  I've run debian on my power3
machine with a 64-bit kernel, and procps works fine.  In fact,
everything runs fine.  This begs the question, what will a ppc64
Debian look like?  I'd guess a 64-bit kernel, 32-bit and 64-bit
toolchains, .... ?

>> I hope you'll agree this is a worthwhile endeavor and with your
>> support, debian support for PowerPC64 processors can be enjoyed by all.
>> (Or at least those with or soon to have hardware ;-)
>
> Eh, does Linux even run on Apple's new box?

Apparently so, but pSeries boxes should also be supported.

Cheers,

Leigh.